Re: Humbleness

Jan 09, 1997 11:39 PM
by Bee Brown

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997 21:50:51 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

Wonderfully said. If you practice living in the moment long enough,
then suddenly, one day the brain becomes silent. No more chatter or
debating with oneself over this or that. You may already have found
this but if you haven't, it is a nice way to live. I find that if I
slip back to the chatter it feels so uncomfortable that I re-orient
myself to the NOW again. It allows the still, small voice to whisper
it's message and somehow life flows along channels that feel right
when that message is followed. I do not always hear it right but I am
trying and have become aware that it is there so that is enough for
me. Simplicity is a natural outcome of living in the now, or so it
seems to me and I find my squirrel nature is allowing for less nuts to
be gathered as I have begun to rely on the Universe to point me in the
direction of the nuts when I need them. I no longer buy something
unless I really need it and little by little I am discarding some of
the clutter in my external life to match the inner life.
Just a little thought from me.
Bee

>Hi Doss,
>
>You have said several statements regarding humbleness.  I am learning
>several glorious aspects of it.
>
>First is simplicity.  I was the type of person that feels that I can do
>everything, and I did try.  I worked, went to school, cooked elaborate
>meals, learned anything that came my way, helped others and did art work.
>Even my art work could not be simple.  I had to do oil painting, silk
>painting, computer graphics, seamstressing, and ceramics.  What resulted was
>a person with very diverse skills but no deep love of any one thing.  I
>ultimately became tired and disappointed in myself as I was forced to let go
>of each skill.  The thought of the mountain of things I have to do each day
>paralyzed me into not getting anything done.  Lately, the light is shining
>through for me.  I am learning to simplify and let go.  I am breaking down
>activities and being mindful as I perform them.  It feels very calming to
>say, "I am following each brush line of this painting.  I am building slowly
>each stroke.  One day, all these strokes will be a painting, but for now, I
>am enjoying each stroke," or to say, "Today, I am mopping the floor.  I am
>taking my time mopping the floor.  I am not going to think of how the rest
>of the house needs organizing."  It is alright to be humble by being simple.
>This was a very basic Buddhist tenet, but I never truly understood it until now.
>
>The second thing I learned is not having to prove myself.  I don't have to
>prove that I am best at anything anymore.  I don't have to begin a painting
>by thinking how I am going to make it a unique and special painting. Just
>the simple act of enjoying each brush stroke is good enough.  Making each
>task a special event within myself instead of a wonderful event for somebody
>else is difficult, but much more rewarding.  Also, there's no need to prove
>how smart I am.  I simplified my vocabulary and just try to communicate as
>honestly as possible.
>
>The third is that I am learning about love, loving each moment, loving each
>thing, seeing the Divine in all things.  This automatically creates
>humbleness.  There is so much involved in being humble.
>
>Namaste,
>TTT

Member Theosophy NZ, T.I.
Life is not a problem to be solved;