Re: Humbleness

Jan 09, 1997 09:05 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 09:50 PM 1/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Doss,
>
>You have said several statements regarding humbleness.  I am learning
>several glorious aspects of it.
>
>First is simplicity.  I was the type of person that feels that I can do
>everything, and I did try.  I worked, went to school, cooked elaborate
>meals, learned anything that came my way, helped others and did art work.
>Even my art work could not be simple.  I had to do oil painting, silk
>painting, computer graphics, seamstressing, and ceramics.  What resulted was
>a person with very diverse skills but no deep love of any one thing.  I
>ultimately became tired and disappointed in myself as I was forced to let go
>of each skill.  The thought of the mountain of things I have to do each day
>paralyzed me into not getting anything done.  Lately, the light is shining
>through for me.  I am learning to simplify and let go.  I am breaking down
>activities and being mindful as I perform them.  It feels very calming to
>say, "I am following each brush line of this painting.  I am building slowly
>each stroke.  One day, all these strokes will be a painting, but for now, I
>am enjoying each stroke," or to say, "Today, I am mopping the floor.  I am
>taking my time mopping the floor.  I am not going to think of how the rest
>of the house needs organizing."  It is alright to be humble by being simple.
>This was a very basic Buddhist tenet, but I never truly understood it until
now.

>The second thing I learned is not having to prove myself.  I don't have to
>prove that I am best at anything anymore.  I don't have to begin a painting
>by thinking how I am going to make it a unique and special painting. Just
>the simple act of enjoying each brush stroke is good enough.  Making each
>task a special event within myself instead of a wonderful event for somebody
>else is difficult, but much more rewarding.  Also, there's no need to prove
>how smart I am.  I simplified my vocabulary and just try to communicate as
>honestly as possible.
>
>The third is that I am learning about love, loving each moment, loving each
>thing, seeing the Divine in all things.  This automatically creates
>humbleness.  There is so much involved in being humble.
>
>Namaste,
>TTT

Hi, what a wonderful post.

While I mentioned humbleness, I did not mention about simplifying our lives.

I have been trying to simplify my life and also I have been trying to get my
clients simplify their lives as well. I am in the fortunate situation of
having to consult with my clients both with their business and even personal
matters. What a difference it has made in the lives of people including myself.

I agree that I no longer try to prove myself. From time to time, when you
find people riding on high horses try to talk you down -- then I beat my own
drums to tell them that talking down is not going to help -- as I feel I am
at the same level as anyone is -- high, low, educated, illiterate, dumb etc
etc. I do not know if it does any good. But if official business related
matters, I have found it necessary to get the point across. In non business
and non official matters it does not matter at all.

Basically I am a doer; sometimes it may get me into trouble. But when you
have the welfare and best interests of other person or persons or
organizations in your heart, and you act, the act itself the right action
and I hope love is automatically is the driving force.

When we look at all the problems around around us -- then it makes me think
how fortunate I am and it motivates me to do what I can to help anyone --
friends, neighbors, strangers, any living being, however high or lowly.

That is all for know.

MKR

Simplify your life -- A good motto in addition to "There is Religion higher
than Truth"