Re: Motherboard battery

Jan 09, 1997 09:05 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 04:14 AM 1/10/97 +0100, you wrote:
>At 13:29 9-01-97 -0600, you wrote:
>>On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Michael wrote:
>>
>>> Re Ramadoss' experience with his motherboard: there are many of them who
>>> have an extra socket to power the clock in case the battery succumbs. An
>>> outside battery (even penlites) may be connected to that socket  after one
>>> has changed a dip-switch (see manual)
>>> Michael
>>> Amsterdam, Netherlands
>>> http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/index.html
>>>
>>Glad for the info. In the MB that I bought and returned, I checked and
>>there was no provision for an  outside battery. May be a bad design.
>>Anyhow the new MB has the simple nc battery which looks like a coin.
>>

>Why can't they make things easier in computerworld. I have an older 486 here
>which runs 10 hours a day slow! Bringing home the relativity of time.
>Success with your new MB!
>Michael
>Amsterdam, Netherlands
>http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/index.html

   I moved from a 286/386 to Cyrix P166+. I suppose the MB I bought was a
top of the line normally used for servers which usually run round the clock.
In such a situation, there is no drain on the battery and hence would not be
a problem. So that's is what was the driving force in the design.

   The new m/c runs real fast especially with a video board with 4MB on it.
The speed is especially noticeable when I am on Internet.

mkr