how would you handle it

Jan 01, 1997 12:05 PM
by liesel f. deutsch

Add my experience to what Ann depicts. Whoever came to talk to us at
Paterson Lodge paid their own way. I sometimes furnished a meal, and
transportation to & from the railroad. If they stayed overnight, one of the
other members usually put them up, because I had an apartment and no guest
room. I know that the lecturers who went around the country, like Bing,
lived & ate in whatever mode the members of the Study Center would & could
provide. No fancy hotels. Sometimes it was good and sometimes it was lousy.
I remember one meal I cooked for Roger, and, I think, Marcia. It was my
first adventure at making quiche, and the darn thing wouldn't solidify,
until we'd pretty near starved to death. I also remember a ride to the
railroad station in the fog which was hair raising. Bing just sat there
quietly in his seat with his arms folded. Maybe he was praying. And Anna
Lemkow had to take the NY subway first to get the bus for New Jersey. The
trip took her 2 hours, one way.

I wouldn't call any of that the lap of luxury. They are dedicated people.

Liesel