how would you handle it

Jan 01, 1997 01:19 PM
by liesel f. deutsch

> Also the National Directors are
>likely to be very very secretive about disclosing how much money they have
>and how it is being spent. There is no requirement that they disclose it to
>the ordinary members. Accountability, must not be based on *trust*, but
>built-in openness and requirement to disclose.>

I agree with Doss. Case in point. The proceeds from the sale of the Boston
Lodge, after the lawyers got the lion's share, went partly to the Lodge and
partly to who knows whom, someone representing Wheaton or the North East
Federation, or some such thing. (I've forgotten the exact amounts but it was
quite a considerable sum). The Lodge took their money, and bought another
building which they are now using. I heard that the Wheaton money, had been
put into a savings account. It sounded like the height of foolishness to me
for that much money to be in a comparatively low yield savings account, so
about a year ago, I asked Fernando De Torjillos, who was & is the NE
Director, what was happening to that other money. He answered back, on the
defensive, that it was in the hands of a Trust. So I asked back "what
Trust", because I really wanted to know what was happening with that money.
I have yet to get an answer. The subject happened to have come up by
accident recently in my correspondence with Elisabeth Trumpler. So I asked
again "what's happening with the Boston money". The question wasn't even
acknowledged. I don't think anybody in the TS is really crooked. But Es
members hang together by hook or by crook. If they cheat to win elections,
which I think they did, several times, who knows what's happening to that money.

Liesel