Re: Objective Beauty

Dec 09, 1996 05:27 AM
by m.k. ramadoss

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Bee Brown wrote:

> I am inclined to think that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder as the
> concept of what is beautiful changes with cultures. I understand that

I ran into a very interesting anecdote. A group of explorers/missionaries
ran into a tribe of people where women are not used to cover their upper
body. The explorers/missionaries, in their next visit carried with them a
lot of shirts and presented them to the women of the tribe. Of course the
women were very happy with the gift they received. The
explorers/missionaries returned with the thought they have done some good
in civilizing the tribe.

Lo and behold, there was a great surprise at their next visit. At the
next visit, they were shocked to find that while the women were wearing
their shirts, they had cut out two large round holes on the front side so
that the bare breasts could show up. The tribal women (and men) thought
it was beautiful.

MKR