Sexism

Dec 31, 2003 04:55 PM
by Art House

Ann Bermingham:
>To a group of males who have been taught to hold back emotion and
>be logically in control at all times, it has got to be difficult to be
>overtaken with emotion for a female and realize that person has the power
>to hurt you by rejection or in other ways.  So the feared object must be
>controlled.

TTT:
In parts of the Middle East, women are covered from head to toe so that
they do not arouse men.  In the U.S., rape victims are often grilled on
whether THEY CAUSED their attackers to lose control by dressing or
acting provocatively.

Tom Robertson:
>You demonstrate that you do not believe that the goal of Theosophy is truth,
>since to characterize me as believing that compassion is emotional, sappy,
>and illogical is patently dishonest, and demonstrates the very antithesis of
>the Theosophical ideals of objectivity and open-mindedness.  Your whole
>article, in refusing to consider the possibility that apparent philosophical
>differences are actually semantic differences before jumping to conclusions,
>reeks of the very emotionalism that I have said is a typically feminine
>weakness.

TTT:
You do well enough on your own characterizing yourself as sexist,
illogical, prejudiced and narrow-minded.  Quick, Data, lend this man
your emotion chip!

Tom:
>Compassion is not a feeling, but an attitude.

TTT:
Hmmmm, let's see....according to the Random House College Dictionary:
Compassion-A FEELING of deep sympathy and sorrow for another's suffering
or misfortune, accompanied by a desire to alleviate the pain or remove
its cause.

My, Tom, for a person who champions logic by stating that emotion causes
hastiness, you sure are hasty with your definition.

To Murray Stentiford regarding last post:  Well said!