Re: A Serious Question

Nov 02, 1996 03:48 PM
by Drpsionic

Mark,
Well, it's like this.  The founders were human beings with human failings.
 Even the Masters are human and capable of mistakes (and we can get into big
fights on that one, but it's in their own letters that they admit it).  But
the fact of their humanity does not detract from the value of their ideas.
 Those stand alone, separate from the lapses of the founders. So we don't
worry a lot about those things.
And the fact that while the founders were Victorians, we aren't and the sort
of things that would have been considered absolutely scandalous then are at
most sources of amusement now.
To put it simply, we don't expect perfection and therefore aren't
disappointed when it isn't there.

Chuck the Heretic