Re: Language

Oct 21, 1996 07:42 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

Dr. A.M.Bain wrote:

> the language used.  Maybe so, *but they still walk away.*  Surely (sigh
> again) it is time that we spoke to people in *their* everyday language,
> and not that of 120 years ago?

	One thing I despise is the King Jamesisms in modern translations of the
Bible. The King James Bible was written in formal but up-to-date
language. It irks me that so many translators feel that they have to
write in archaic language (of course, the revised version produced last
year with its purposely awkward in-your-face heavy-handed alterations is
pretty bad, too; I think a translator should try, as hard as possible,
to create the same feeling for reading a work as one who speaks the
original language feels).

	Michael Gomes is making a career of updating the language of the
Primary Literature, and we're lucky enough to have him as the librarian
at the NYTS. I just tried to convince him to monitor these lists on the
NYTS Internet account (people have enough trouble understanding my own
opinions here without having them figure out a split personality between
my own account and being the official representative of the NYTS).
Unfortunately, he's too busy with his other projects.

	Bart Lidofsky