Re: Re Sexism and Bodies

Oct 14, 1996 02:12 AM
by Bee Brown

At 06:27 PM 11/10/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>I remember reading somewhere that because male and female bodies on
>>this physical plane had specific differences and were constituted
>>differently, the Masters found it more convenient to use a male body to
>>accomplish what they were to do. In the end male and female bodies are
>>only a passing phase of evolution, they weren't the norm earlier and I
>>understand they won't be the norm later on either.
>
>Bee, I appreciate reading your thoughts.  On the matter of sex,
>I can't help but think that there is more to it than just a
>difference in physical bodies.  The feminine is lunar, the
>unconscious, changing, etc., while the masculine is solar,
>consciousness, changless, etc.  These traditional terms all
>suggest a polar difference exists in thinking and attitude
>as well as body.  I agree that we will both come together
>in one body some day, but not until we have worked through
>this whole duality business, and that is not going to
>happen any time soon.  I have heard Masters say that women
>are natural mystics while men have to work at it.  Women
>naturally accept reality, while men tend to dismiss it.
>That men tend to dwell more on time than women, and so on.
>What I am getting at, is that the male body is NOT the
>preferred one to use by an Adept, except in the sense that
>it is a male-dominated world, and that in order to spread
>a message, most folks will listen to a man over a women.
>HPB proved to be an exception to this rule, and deserves
>credit for what she did.  A lot of female Adepts exist
>who never got popular recognition, and thus remained in
>the background--which is OK, because this is what they
>chose to do.  Please do not think that a male body is
>somehow "better" or "superior" to a woman's body insofar
>as occultism is concerned.  Its probably the other way
>around.
>
>Jerry S.
>Member, TI

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I understand what you are saying. I was
referring to an idea that no longer concerned physical life in bodies any more.
 I still incline towards the difference in male and female bodies, outlook
etc otherwise why has Nature bothered to create one of each in all the
kingdoms of nature. I feel that each duality provides a unique experience in
the physical realms and so we reincarnate in one or the other for the
experience of that body and also for the experience gained by living in
certain times in a male or female body. One thing sure up till now anyway,
to be in a female body has been quite a different experience than a male
one. I do not think Nature sees one as 'better' than the other, that is
something we ourselves have tried to project on it for eons, it is merely
different experiences and the results are how we handle the experience.
Once we have left the need to have physical experiences, I suspect that
male/female duality either disappears or else is radically different than we
understand it. I have become very aware of how limited our knowledge is
about the way the universe works, so I reserve opinions as being relative to
our present state of knowing. I cannot really say anything with real
certainty because I do not have all the facts. I need to try to keep in mind
that any ideas I express are subject to change. That ain't as easy as it
sounds :-)

Bee Brown
Member Theosophy NZ, TI.

Success is getting what you want.