Re: THEOS-L digest 683

Oct 08, 1996 01:09 PM
by Maxim Osinovsky

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Robert Word wrote:

> The power of the Spoken Word, and the power of Thought, are aspects of
> experience more intensely within the purvue of those who have received
> degrees and training in the eastern  system, the western system, or any
> valid trainings system or tradition; the profane normally do not
> experience these levels in an intense way.
>
> But as we practice in a controlled way, and create by thought or speech,
> then how can we fully follow artistic or literary interests in a
> completely free fashion.  This is a way of expressing the difficulty,
> and we must take account of Maxim's statements regarding karma.  But one
> possible approach may be to rely on the great provenance of the universe
> itself, leading to the all good.  There are, of course, in some
> traditions, certain potent practices which are intended to benefit all
> sentient beings.

Robert,

The source of the problem here is the word "controlled." Controlled by
what--one's own desires? the mind? or the higher self?

For someone controlled by his/her higher self there is nothing like
creating "in a completely free fashion." His/her freedom is freedom from
desires, mental patterns, ignorance, and illusion. As regards the sources
of artistic inspiration, his/her task (or duty) is to make contact with
the spiritual planes and to bring glimpses of spiritual
beauty down to the earth to help merge Spirit and Matter in general and
induce catharsis in listeners/viewers in particular. (Catharsis: the
purging of an audience's emotions through a work of art.--The Random
House Dictionary.) To this end, the artist may need to go through some
preparation like purification of the heart and the mind, maybe some
fasting, isolation from the chaotic impressions of the outer world, some
meditation (concentrated thinking about the seed idea of the future
artwork).

This is a standard view based on Plato's and Plotinus' ideas, and also
the way having followed (more or less) by such people as Beethoven,
Wagner, Nicholas Roerich, and so forth.

Maxim