Re: THEOS-L digest 683

Oct 08, 1996 10:07 AM
by Robert Word

> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 08:16:55 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Maxim Osinovsky <mosinovs@library.berkeley.edu>
> To: theos-l@vnet.net
> Subject: Re: Spiritual discrimination
>
> "...The spoken word has a potency... Because sound and  rhythm are
> closely related to the four Elements of the Ancients; and because such or
> another vibration in the air is sure to awaken corresponding powers,
> union with which produces good or bad results, as the case may be. No
> student was ever allowed to recite historical, religious, or any real
> events in so many unmistakable words, lest the powers connected with the
> event should be once more attracted."
>
> "The Secret Doctrine" I 307
>
> On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, Dr. A.M.Bain wrote:
>
> > In message <Pine.OSF.3.90.961006161147.13772A-
> > 100000@library.berkeley.edu>, Maxim Osinovsky <mosinovs@library.berkeley
> > .edu> writes
> > >Some others on this list who support the above mentioned discussion as
> > >a good word game or just as a joke, may wish to remember that careless
> > >language still creates karma commensurate with the literal meaning of the
> > >words used and especially with the vibrations in the environment their
> > >electronic speech may generate.
> > >
> > >I believe things like that should not go unchallenged, so I invite others
> > >to contribute their opinions about it.
> > >
> > >Max
> >
> > "careless language still creates karma commensurate with the literal
> > meaning of the words used and especially with the vibrations in the
> > environment their electronic speech may generate."
> >
> > I challenge this as an *absurd* statement!  Your words read like those
> > of a fundamentalist evangelist.  Explain to me, as an example of your
> > claim, the *literal meaning* of the word "joke."
> >
> > Alan
> > ---------
> > Homepage: http://www.nellie2.demon.co.uk/
> > THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Ancient Wisdom for a New Age:
> > TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk, and from homepage above.

I believe that Maxim Osinovsky raises a very valid point here, put it is
one which mainly concerns occult practitioners with intellectual
interests.

The power of the Spoken Word, and the power of Thought, are aspects of
experience more intensely within the purvue of those who have received
degrees and training in the eastern  system, the western system, or any
valid trainings system or tradition; the profane normally do not
experience these levels in an intense way.

But as we practice in a controlled way, and create by thought or speech,
then how can we fully follow artistic or literary interests in a
completely free fashion.  This is a way of expressing the difficulty,
and we must take account of Maxim's statements regarding karma.  But one
possible approach may be to rely on the great provenance of the universe
itself, leading to the all good.  There are, of course, in some
traditions, certain potent practices which are intended to benefit all
sentient beings.

I do not expect this type of discussion to make much sense to those who
are intellectuals only, and who have never followed the initiatic way in
practice.