Re: Organizational Evolution

Oct 01, 1996 10:12 PM
by Bee Brown

At 12:02 PM 01/10/96 -0400, you wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Ann E. Bermingham wrote:
>
>> Doss:
>> >The TS, when inaugurated in 1875, was designed on the basis of a formal
>> >pyramidal organizational structure . . . <snip>
>> >So from the needs of Theosophists, I am wondering whether the TS is going
>> >to be a overtaken by Internet based communication and interaction. . .
<snip>

>> Hasn't the TSA already made the move in that direction with the creation
of the
>> National Lodge?  Also, they plan to have electronic study groups,
bulletin board
>> and chat group.
>
>	I hope all the plans work.
>> But there would have to a decentralization of power and less central
control to
>> make it work in the way you are speaking of.  More local control and less
at the
>> top.
>	The way Internet is evolving is - no control at any level - top
>or bottom.
>

>> >Theos-l is pioneering in this direction and has already helped a lot of
>> >us to discuss various items in a world wide forum, and all this has been
>> >made possible by one person who saw the need -- John E Mead. My salute to
>> >him. I forsee theos-l participating to mushroom in the years to come.
>>
>> Since I was 5 years old, I always fancied myself a pioneer - that was
when Davy
>> Crockett was the rage.  : - )  But every person that starts something on the
>> Internet, whether it be a web page, mailing list or newsgroup is
participating
>> in the beginnings of a world-wide network of communication.
>>
>> The atomic mushrooming of this list still depends, IMHO, on several things.
>> Number one, the availability of computers and modems.  2: Computer literacy,
>> probably found in greater numbers in those just entering kindergarden.
3: The
>> quality and quantity of discussion on this list.
>>
>> The prediction of this list going mega may be premature.  Let's just see what
>> happens.
>

>	I am an eternal optimist. However we all have to wait and see
>what and how these things develop.
>
>	Thanks for your thoughtful comments.
>
>	MK Ramadoss

Bee writes.
I have much to bless the Internet for in my year long participation. I have
discovered many new people and topics of interest. One hint leads to another
and next thing I find myself on a discussion list for General Semantics and
there I find people with knowledge of my latest interest in the books of
Vitvan. I now have written to the School and have learned some interesting
things that I would never have known before the Internet came my way. It is
exciting getting my mail each morning to see what comes up next.

Bee Brown
Member Theosophy NZ, TI.

There cannot be a crisis today;
my schedule is already full.