Re: Freedom of Thought

Aug 03, 1996 02:47 PM
by Maxim Osinovsky

Hello Sy:

What you wrote about--I mean those expulsions--disturbs me very much, partly
because I am an Alice Bailey student, but mostly because I hate
restrictions of freedom.

So I consulted the national bylaws as published in Early Autumn 1995
issue of American Theosophist (AT) and John AlgeoFs articles in most
recent issues of AT to see what's going on.

It looks like those expulsions WERE legal!  Bylaw 9, Section 6 says in part:

"Section 6. Cancellation of a Charter. Whenever in the opinion of the
Board of Directors a lodge has ceased to perform the functions for which
it was chartered, or shall have engaged in activities contrary to the
best interests of the Society, or shall have failed to abide by its own
bylaws or those of the national Society, <snip> the Board shall by
resolution declare that lodge to be inactive."

So it's clear enough: The Board of Directors has full authority to
dissolve local lodges if something goes wrong. In general it is OK with
me except a vague phrase, "activities contrary to the best interests of
the Society" that seems to be unacceptable.  I believe it is this
provision that has been used to expel the Boston group, right? It's
highly subjective. Who is going to judge about it? Obviously the Board as
is implied by Bylaw 7, Section 1. So it seems that this provision gives
the Board an enormous, virtually unlimited power over local lodges.

I am VERY concerned about that provision because I came as a refugee to
this country from the former Soviet Union, and I know very well how many
crimes very commited against many Soviet citizens--all "in the best
interests" of the people. Exactly the same phrase, "in the best interests
of..."  (substitute your pet interests) was available in the Soviet
Constitution, too, so it may serve as an excellent tool of manipulation.

The above interpretation is fully confirmed by what John Algeo wrote in
AT (emphasis added):

Late Spring 1996 issue, p.2: "Local groups are extraordinarily important
to the welfare of the Society, but they are SUBSIDIARY, NOT PRIMARY."

"National sections areL Ithe representatives of the parent Society in
particular countries. Local groups--lodges and study centers--are its
representatives in specific localities. These subunits are very important
for carrying on the work of the Society, having their particular roles in
that work. But ultimately there is only one Society, and all Theosophical
Fellows are members FIRST AND FOREMOST OF THAT ONE SOCIETY AND ONLY
SECONDARILY OF A LOCAL GROUP AND A NATIONAL SECTION."

In other words, all Theosophical Fellows are property of  their
respective national societies, while national societies are property of
the "parent Society."

The Big Brother (John Algeo) is well and alive...

Sy: I wonder if the expulsion of the Boston group has been covered in AT.
If so, could you provide reference(s)?

-------

Regarding the "Freedom of Thought" letter and the Editor"s (i.e. John
Algeo"s) response:

What I have discovered in the national bylaws, is not encouraging either.
The Preamble reads in part:

"The Theosophical Society, while reserving for each member full freedom
to interpret those teachings known as Theosophy, is dedicated to
preserving and realizing the ageless wisdom..."

Now, it says that the members are free to interpret THEOSOPHY as they
wish, but it does not explicitly say that the members are free to study
in their branches and study centers something else.

What happens if some members study, let's say, Alice Bailey? According to
the letter of the bylaws they may be expelled if the Board of Directors
thinks such a study does not further "preserving and realizing the
ageless wisdom"--as they understand the ageless wisdom.

Unfortunately, the bylaws make it extremely easy to expel the members.
Section 9 "Termination of Membership" of bylaw 4 says in part:

"(b) Membership may be rescinded by a two-thirds or greater vote of the
Board of Directors on recommendation of the National President." There is
absolutely no qualifying statement as to why and under what circumstances
the President may give such a recommendation and the Board may approve
it--all that is left to their personal opinion and judgment.

So, in the light of these findings, what John Algeo replied to Mathias
van Thiel is nothing else than hypocrisy.

Sy: The two loopholes mentioned above make it very difficult for you and
the like-minded members to advance your agenda. It looks like the very
way TS is structured will oppose any attempts at change. In any case,
serious changes to the international and  national bylaws will be needed,
otherwise the members will still remain less significant than the Society
embodied by the Board.

Max