Borderlines

Jul 31, 1996 04:37 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <Pine.OSF.3.90.960731151709.22537E-
100000@library.berkeley.edu>, Maxim Osinovsky <mosinovs@library.berkeley
.edu> writes

>On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Jerry Schueler wrote:
>
>> Buddhi-manas relates to the casual plane, which although is above the human
>> mind (mental plane) is nevertheless below the Abyss, and thus within form.
>> Consciousness, even in the causal plane, is subject to imagery.
>
>Does not seem to be true. The borderline between the rupa and the arupa
>is somewhere in the middle of mental plane, so even manas (higher
>subplanes of the mental) is in the arupa, not to speak about buddhi.

As Jerry is using Kabbalist (or Qabalist) terminology, I am jumping in
here to kind of agree with Maxim (I think).  In the full system of the
Kabbalist "Jacob's Ladder" the "causal plane" would relate to the
Briatic world.  That which is subject to imagery would be present in the
lower half of Briah, which "overlaps" the upper part of Yetzirah
("higher astral") but the upper part of Briah cannot contain any kind of
imagery.  The "Abyss" symbolism belongs to the "single tree" version
promulgated by the Golden Dawn, but disappears when the fuller version
is known and used.  There would be a kind of "borderline," to use
Maxim's term, at Tiphareth in Briah.

Sorry folks for the technical stuff, but I do have to read a lot of
Indian and sanskrit terminology - why shouldn't you suffer a bit as well
:-)

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Ancient Wisdom for a New Age
TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk
http://WWW1.Minn.Net/~vlg/TI.html
(Note figure "one" after WWW)