God saves?

Jul 11, 1996 09:52 AM
by ABRANTES

Jerry Ekins wrote

and Dr. Alain Bain wrote:
>"Jesus" is reported to have been born at a time when the common language
>of the people of Galilee was Aramaic, and it is still the Armaic form of
>his name which is used by the remanant Aramaic speaking churches.  This
>is spelt Yod Shin Wau Aleph, but as Aramaic sticks an Aleph on the end
>of just about every noun, the root of the name is Yod Shin Wau, which,
>if you hear it pronounced by an Aramaic speaker comes out something like
>"Ishoo" - similar to a sneeze.  It means, not "God saves," but "He
>saves," which ties in with the NT idea (skip the Angel Gabriel stuff,
>which is almost certainly a later story tacked onto the beginning of the
>Churches' gospels of Matthew and Luke.)

HPB at Unveiled Isis Vol III, chapter 3 (star page116 end page 145)
page 126 refer to Sepher Toledoth Yeshu, reproduce a passage where
Jesus was interpreted as Yehoshuah.

I have already reproduced Catechism that says;"430 Jesus means in Hebrew:
"God saves.". I send this question to another list b-hebrew@virginia.edu
and receive some arguments that states that probably the most correct
interpretation is given by Catechism. Following lines reproduce these
texts:

>These are not necessarily antithetical (opposites).  It depends on who
>"He" is referring to.  In the Tanakh, God alone saves.  In the New Testament,
>most of the action verbs surrounding salvation can be read with God as the
>subject (not Christ, who is a vehicle of said saving power).
>I think it's important to note that the name "Jesus" is not Hebrew, and
>we are never given Jesus' name in Hebrew.  What we have are speculations about
>the derivation of the name Jesus from Hebrew (or Aramaic) and a tradition about
>the name of Jesus which has not always faithfully represented what "Hebrew"
>might have had to say about it (again, subject to a variety of
>interpretations).

>His name was joshua or properly Yahshua which means YHWH saves...
>when Paul said (in romans) their is no other name by which men
>can be saved he meant YHWH, because he knew that YaHshua meant YHWH saves.
>Yahshua is spelled Yod-Hey-Shin-Wav-Hey and if you take the Shin you get
>Yod-Hey-Wav-Hey which is the name of the god of israel.  This is what he
>meant when said that I am in the father and the father is in me.  He was
>equating himself with the hebrew letter Shin.

>most commentators agree that the name Y'shua
>(Jesus) is derived from some form of the verb "to save." There are some
>commentators who disagree, saying that this is merely a "folk etymology"
>after the fact.  In either case, it is clear that the name is derived from
>the name of Joshua, who was a five-star general over the Israelite army
>after the death of Moses.

Abrantes