T.S. HISTORY - THE CWL AFFAIR, 1906-8

Jun 07, 1996 06:02 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

Some long awaited and very scarce material concerning the above chapter
of T.S. history has just become available in England.  Over the next
week or two I shall be scanning an uploading some of the more important
material to theos-roots.  In view of the potentially controversial, and
to some, offensive nature of these works, I am advising subscribers to
theos-l in advance, so that anyone who wishes to unsubscribe to theos-
roots can have the opportunity to do so, so that they will not receive
postings they would prefer not to read.

Some might ask, "Why bring up the past?  Surely it is all dead and best
forgotten?"  To this I would reply, "Because the past shapes the future,
and often, by virtue of its distance from the present, helps us to avoid
making mistakes we might otherwise make."

In recent times, as has been said here from time to time, entire Lodges
and Sections have, for one reason or another, left the International
(Adyar) Society.  In 1909, the British Section alone lost 206 members
and nine lodges as a direct consequence of the CWL controversy.

It also lost some important people in the history of the theosophical
movement, among whom were HPB's Secretary, G.R.S.Mead, A.P.Sinnet
(recipient of the original Mahatma Letters), William Kingsland,
J.M.Watkins (of Bookshop fame), and F. Bligh Bond (whose psychic
research led to important discoveries at Glastonbury, Somerset).

I shall allow at least 24 hours before posting any material to theos-
roots.

With familial best wishes,

Dr. A.M.Bain
---------