Re: Bleat and Howl

Jun 03, 1996 10:41 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 11:24 AM 6/3/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Rich,
>Now really, you can howl.  Just look up at the full moon and try.
>
>Chuck the Wolf MTI, FTSA
>Heretic
>Troublemaker
>
>Chuck: I know you were joking and I am not taking it seriously, but you
just gave me an opportunity to talk about my favorite subject: Wolves!

I wonder if most people know that wolves do not howl at the moon (full or
otherwise), they howl for various reasons and the most important are these;
1. Wolves howl because they really enjoy doing it! 2. A Lonely wolf howls
because he or she is lonely and to let nearby packs know of his or her
presence and innocent intent. Trespassing in a packs territories is very
dangerous to the trespasser. 3. A hunting pack howls to keep in touch with
one another's location and to warn other, strange wolves, away from their
hunt. To wolves howling is a very important method of communication. Wolves
only "bark" when playing, and have a really large repertoire of other
sounds. Playing cubs really make a lot of joyous noises.

Wolves are extremely intelligent and are the most compassionate and loving
creatures I have ever encountered, and I have had dealings with most Mammals.

alexis