Re: 3 objects

May 26, 1996 11:13 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 04:04 PM 5/26/96 -0400, you wrote:
>He left TI - I have not checked the mailing list, and the TI Web page is
>still there.  Alexis thinks he will come round again eventually - they
>have met in person.  Rudy is, A tells me, a very nice and sincere man,
>but steeped in the "older" jargon and rather indentified with it (as I
>interpret what Alexis has said).
>

>Alan :-)
>---------
>THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL:
>Ancient Wisdom for a New Age
>TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk
>http://www,garlic.com/~rdon/TI.html
>
>Alan:

I would say that "identified with it" is precisely the accurate description.
When he visited me, and when we spoke on the phone he made it rather clear
that IF the word Brotherhood was deleted, or changed in any way, in the T.I.
version of the first object, he would leave T.I.

To Rudy, "Brotherhood" has the force of credo. It was apparently the ideal
of "Brotherhood" that drew him to Theosophy in the first place. When he
thinks of Theosophy it is "Brotherhood" that comes to his mind. I think,
however, that when he realizes that dropping the WORD "Brotherhood" does not
in any way at all mean or imply dropping the ideals for which that word once
stood. Times pass, people change, and language changes. Rudy is an extremely
intelligent and well-intended man, I am certain that with retrospection and
contemplation he will see that by changing the language to match
contemporary mores, we are not only not abandoning the idea for which
"Brotherhood" stands, but insuring it's survival into the next century.

alexis