Re: Bashing of Eldon?????

May 19, 1996 11:31 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 04:38 PM 5/19/96 -0400, you wrote:
>So, now it is all on again, emotional outbursts at 10 paces. This list is
>getting so reactionary. It  doesn't seem to have taken on the semblance of a
>Universal Family since I have been on it and I suspect it never will so that
>is a pipe dream. I keep wondering how come I can understand mostly what Eldon
>is trying to say with the words he uses yet some others do not seem to and
>get at him for his choice of 'words'. Much of what he says has deeper
>meanings that he is trying to express with the 'words' he choses to use and
>it now seem to me it is quite a waste of time. We all have to use words to
>express ourselves and some words used may have emotional overtones for some
>people reading them but the writer probably is not aware that he/she has
>struck a raw nerve yet has to take the flak for doing so.
>I was so keen to join this list to learn and discuss theosophy and related
>things but I find myself disappointed by what goes in the name of theosophy.
>I could well imagine that the reactionary style of this list would put many
>potential contributors off. I used to turn my computer on in the morning with
>great anticipation to see what was being said but it has turned out to be a
>more negative experience than I am willing to bring into my living room by
>choice. I guess I will have to decide if it is worth it. I have tried to
>participate in my own inadequate way but it seems rather fruitless and when a
> knowledgeable person is continually being misunderstood by some participants
>only, then I wonder why it is necessary to get so reactionary over it. Why
>not just ignore him if it bugs you that much. Do the Eldon bashers think they
>are exempt from the mistakes they accuse him off? Perhaps each of us should
>look to our own methods of relating to others and see if we can afford to
>cast aspersions. As the saying goes; First take the mote out of thine own eye
>etc. This is all becoming very boring so I think I will close down and get on
>with living my day without all this nonsense.
>
>Bee:

Obviously I agree with what J.R.C. has to say. There are however, things I'd
like to say about "Universal Family". One of the reasons it hasn't
manifested is that so many people have totally unreasonable expectations of
what a "Universal Family" should be. Why, in fact, should it be any
different than my family or yours? In families people disagree, they argue,
they even "fight", in the process of so doing they "take the corners off one
another", as it were. Yes, each and every family member has to use "words"
to express themselves, and yes they run the risk of "taking Flak" when they
hit a nerve on another member of the family. But so what? They all learn in
the process. "Taking Flak" for what one says is learning to take
responsibility for what one says. Forcing people into a situation involving
pseudo-"niceness" gains nothing except expertise in evasiveness.

Now, you say you have no trouble in "understanding" Eldon. That's fine. But
I must ask you please to grant the possibility that others of us, myself and
JRC, for example, understand him differently. I must ask you to grant that
all of us who disagree with him are not ignorant or malicious and that we
honestly disagree with his basic ideas, and, as I do, disagree with his
basic view on Theosophy. Because you may accept his presentations does not
automatically make us all totally wrong, does it?

I don't have the least idea whether you read the message I sent to Eldon
which stirred up this tempest in a teapot. But I should hope you might. I,
for one, am at total loss to understand why that message is called "Eldon
bashing". I addressed only one possibly negative comment directly to him, I
said he was arrogant and self-righteous. I did say that, and that is what I
think about him. Now, the reason I addressed those remarks to him was to
remonstrate with him for certain things he had said and done which I felt
were unfair, untrue, and inherently negative. I, and Jerry Schueler, and
Chuck, and JRC and others on this list have made it c\very clear that we are
active psychics, and I have made it clear that I am an active Shaman. Now I
ask you, is his equation of psych ism and psychosis an fair and friendly
thing to do? Is this not "bashing" or at least insulting to those of us who
have been open and forthright about our paranormality? Well, I thought it
was unfriendly and I chose to remonstrate with him about it.  Next problem
arose from our discussion of "Root Races and racism", the remonstration
arose not from what he said, after all, no matter how wrong-headed I think
he may be, he's fully entitled to his opinion and to expressing it. Much as
I feel free to express my opinions. But what I was "raising hell" about what
his total disrespect of Dr. Bain and those of us who are less than
enthusiastic about "core theosophy's racial hypotheses", he called it
"Theosophy Bashing". Well, he has a right to disagree with our concerns, but
he has no right at all to assault us because of those concerns. In the past
he chose a pejorative metaphor to decry those of us who are, perhaps  in his
view, "dissidents". These things add up, and eventually his Karma came home
to roost and I told him his actions were unacceptable to me. This is not a
"personal attack" not is it "bashing" though his actions could certainly be
construed that way. And yet what do we have, Daniel Caldwell has chosen this
as a perfect opportunity to do some Alexis bashing, which he I think, has
long wanted to do. He doesn't like my philosophical view of Theosophy and so
he wants me off the list. that's all there is to it. In point of fact, I
was, I felt, much more restrained in my message to Eldon than he deserved.

What i am forced to deplore is what appears to be an egregious "double
standard" here on the list. Eldon can openly insinuate that all of us para
normals are psychotic, and that's not "bashing" but if one of us, and
especially if it's Alexis, complains about that "bashing" to Eldon, then we
or rather I, am "Bashing" him and it's terrible etc. I sincerely object to
this kind of scapegoatism.

alexis