Re: higher powers

May 15, 1996 05:17 PM
by Bee Brown

Jerry Schueler wrote:

> Bee:
> > The thing that worries me about a logical and sensible
> >answer is that the thoughts of these people are not logical or sensible. That
> >is what causes a lot of their problems in interacting with the world around
> >them.
>         But they are logical.  They have their own logic.  Our
> dreams are very logical while we are dreaming, and only appear
> illogical after bucking them up against our waking-state logic.

I know they have their own logic and it seems fine to them. I was discussing
how it appears to us from a non-schizophrenic view. I was trying to say that
we could not make assumptions on the basis of how we think and extrapolate it
onto their thinking.

> >Logical, 'normal' people tend to assume similar thought patterns as
> >their own in others and so find schizophrenics very hard to deal with.
>         You are defining logical by what the majority agree to.  I
> am not so sure that this is a logical way to define logic.

I was being rather loose with the word logic and not intending that it be
strictly defined but using it in a general context within the idea I was
discussing.

> > Why would a person with an illogical pattern of thinking assume
> >that religion would give them security?
>         You surely have to be kidding on this one.
>
>         Jerry S.
>         Member, TI

The thread was that these people sought religion because it gave them
security and I was asking if that was seen from a non-schizophrenic or
'rational'(using loose language again) point of view. Do schizophrenics feel
a lack of security in relation to society within their own frame of
reference? Never mind, I guess definitions will get this discussion into a
knot anyway. Thanks for your comments.

   Bee Brown
   Member TSNZ,Wanganui Branch.
   Theos Int & L