Re: higher powers

May 10, 1996 10:48 PM
by Richtay

I hate to walk in on this minefield, but this comment is not something
insulting aimed at anyone in particular.

Liesel wrote,

> Eldon, you're totally zerschimmmelt, on this view. An adept has all sorts
of
> powers, psychic, mental, astral, buddhic, you name it, (s)he's got it. It
> seems to be that your own way is through developing the mind. So that's
your
> way.

I think Eldon may be saying something different.  The point he may be making
is that Adepts may have all kinds of hidden powers, but many of them arise
naturally while pursuing Raja Yoga.  The real training which one might focus
on is developing the powers of discrimination and insight and compassion, and
then finding that unusual psychic abilities arise as well.  A matter of
emphasis and what exactly is being sought.

But I think everyone on the board will admit that psychic (and other) powers
NECESSARILY arise when one gets involved in spiritual development.  There's
no way around it, as Liesel points out, in order to be "well-rounded."  For
some people these powers appear to arise early, for some late.  But HPB and
Judge (and Eldon) seem to be emphasizing the idea that these psychic
abilities are "icing on the cake" and not the cake itself.

Okay, now that I've stuck my neck out, by all means let the personal attacks
come in !