The Principles

May 10, 1996 12:50 PM
by Jerry Schueler

	We have been discussing HPB's  "principles" lately, and I
have been having a lot of trouble trying to understand Eldon, JHE,
and Rich on the whole subject.  Perhaps these three understand
HPB perfectly on this subject.  I do not, and I find her a bit
confusing at times.  I also find Eldon, JHE, and Rich to be more
than a bit confusing.   Let me show everyone where I am coming
from, at least.  Like Eldon, JHE, and Rich, I too like and admire G
de P.  In fact, let me use him now to show how I view the 7
principles.  I will use only his Fountain-Source of Occultism for
now:

GdeP>"Man as well as the universe is composite of distinct
GdeP>principles or elements, or tattwas, every one of
GdeP>which is itself divided into subprinciples" p 200.

	G de P equates principles with elements or
tattwas (he does not say "and" in the above quote, but
"or" which implies equality).  I do to.  There is one tattwa
per plane, albeit each will have its sevenfold division of
subplanes.  On page 564, he even uses the term
"element-principles" combining the two ideas into a
single name.

GdeP>"When the auric egg is viewed on any one plane of the
GdeP>human constitution, we discover that this plane or
GdeP>'layer' not only corresponds to, but actually *is*
GdeP>one of the unfolded six principles of man" p 427.

	Like the cosmos, and solar universe, we too
have planes or "layers."  What does "any one plane of the
human constitution" mean, if not the fact that each of our
principles/elements is on its own plane?  Each of our
principles corresponds to a plane, as *is* on that plane.

GdeP>"Now the seven principles are the seven kinds of 'stuff'
GdeP>of the universe.  The higher part of each kind is its
GdeP>consciousness side; the lower part of each is the body
GdeP>side through which its own consciousness expresses
GdeP>itself....Just as the chemical elements form the body of
GdeP>the universe, which nevertheless forms the clothing of
GdeP>hordes of consciousness-beings, humans among them, so
GdeP>in exactly the same way the seven principles of both
GdeP>cosmos and man, ultimately reducible to one causal
GdeP>principle-spirit, are the sevenfold stuff of which
GdeP>the universe is built throughout."  (p 443-444)

	According to the above quote, each of our human
principles can be divided into a higher subjective side and a
lower objective side.  G de P expressly says that this
lower objective side is a "body" for consciousness to work
through.  In a technical sense, it is this lower objective side
of each principle that equates to a tattwa.   We have six
principles, one on each of six planes, with the auric egg acting
throughout and on each plane.  This, to me, is exactly what
CWL/AB say in their model, except that they say it in plain
English using smaller words.

	Now, I am trying to be accomodating here.  Everyone
has been asking for quotes, and I am trying to provide them.
But quoting has some drawbacks.  "Out of context" for example.
"But when he says that he means this..." for another.  I am
certain that Eldon, and probably JHE, will interpret G de P
differently than I.  All I can say is that my interpretation keeps
a unanimity to the theosophical teachings while Eldon and
JHE's interpretation (whatever they are) are devisive and
unnecesarily complex and confusing.  JHE, for example,
is already on record as saying that the principles are not
the tattwas.  In fact, this is one of his major criticisms of
the CWL model.  But he carefully has never said what the
principles are.  Yet, to me, G de P teaches the same thing,
as the above quotes indicate.  I can't help thinking that those
who dislike CWL are also biased against his model.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI