Re: You Warned Me

May 09, 1996 10:34 PM
by m.k. ramadoss

On Fri, 10 May 1996, JRC wrote:

> I *did*, however, hold that the founders *DID say that the
> principle of "Universal Brotherhood" held a *priviledged
> position*, was  not just "another doctrine", but was both an idea
> they held *superior* to others, and that regardless of what
> *else* people did, be it reading and study, meditation, or
> following some "occult" system of training, it was to be *in
> addtion to*, not *instead of* the work of Universal Brotherhood.

While I do not want to get into the various issues discussed here, I
should unequivocally agree with the above statement. There are two
primary reasons. Most leaders in Theosophy, past and present, is in
agreement that the Great Master's Letter is the Charter for the TS. Did
He not say that in very clear terms what They want it to be. Did They not
say that Their knowledge, past, present and future is not enought to
compensate for the person who works for the ideal of Universal
Brotherhood. They do mean what They say. Second, if anything we do,
following any path, meditating, developing any psychic powers is not in
direct furthering of this ideal, to all the achievements are just another
selfish endeavour however subtle the selfishness may be.

For years and years, I have attended numerous lectures starting with Life
After Death - a favorite topic, man and his bodies, plane of nature etc
etc and it took a long time to make a connection between all of these and
how I can help my fellow living beings. It gave me greatest joy which I
am able to use every opportunity that presents to me to help any one -
man or the beast.

It may be time to re-focus the priorities of Theosophy. If this is done
and is put into practice and we touch on all of the people and other
entities we come into contact, we will be, IMHO, spreading Theosophy.
Again, IMHO, if this is done, in due course of time all the present
problems that the Lodges face may disappear.

In this connection, I would like to refer to a complaint by APS that he
did not see much progress in the London Lodge. The reply to this in the
ML is the comment that when the members pursue selfish ends, that act by
itself begets results it deserves. Action and reaction in practice.

I think that the importance of Universal Brotherhood is a very good topic
on which we can all comment on and I hope as a result we can better
understand the issues and come up with ideas we can implement which have
a very direct bearing or basis on Universal Brotherhood.

	...doss