You Warned Me

May 10, 1996 00:43 AM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Richard Ihle:

As you suggested might happen, many of the pro-psychic crowd were
infuriated at my postings. Perhaps it is related to this statement
of Alexis that was written to Bee today:

>One of the primary features of that "next step
>forward" is psychic sensitivity. Well, in that case, you've hit the nail
>squarely on the head! One of the missions of the theosophical movement was
>to prepare 19th and early 20th century humanity for this "great leap
>forward", and to ready people, especially young people, for the new
>awareness of the greater reality outside of human reality that they would
>experience.

Since they define adepts as someone with "inner powers", and those
powers equated as the sort of psychical abilities that they have or
are seeking, I suppose they want the rest of us seeking higher
powers of mind and lucidity to abandon our foolish ways and follow
in their footsteps?

Although I read, on almost a daily basis, comments such as these,
there seems to be a harsh reaction to any suggestion that all this
might not be real. JRC is quick to tell me my motives -- whether I
agree or not -- and indicate his willingness to engage in a fight.
There's a lot that cannot be discussed on theos-l, and it is
precisely this sort of reaction that makes most people lurk.

Apparently the views that I'm writing about, like subjective states
and spheres of effects, etc. is new to him. It comes from my
study and thought based upon the source writings, and I should
be able to discuss them without facing this! While I may be in the
minority in writing about the subject the way that I do, I suspect
that it's because many avoid this list, or are gun shy, and choose
to lurk.

I have seen on-going discussion of psychic powers being the
next great step in evolution and the sign of adeptship. I read
this, and wonder, when is someone going to say something and set
the record straight? It's quite unbalanced. But see what happens.
If something is said either in support of spiritual or intellectual
awakening, or of other faculties of consciousness being the next
step forward, they'll quickly get in hot water!

In countering these ideas, instead of hearing the positive
aspects of the psychical, I've found various counterattacks
being made, directed at other subjects. JRC, for instance, has been
trying out a number of approaches. One was something like the
books were out-of-date and one needed a living channel to guide
one. A second was that he was a better Theosophist than the
students of the literature because he accepted the earlier
primary objective of Universal Brotherhood. A third now is that
he is the valiant defender of free speech on theos-l, willing
to do battle with Eldon's devilish provocations!

There's not much that can be said in response to that! Perhaps
it won't be possible for all the different variants and offshoots
of Theosophy to exist under a single tent?

-- Eldon