Re: German!

May 09, 1996 12:59 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 01:43 PM 5/9/96 -0400, you wrote:
>However, it is almost un insult to call Norwegian food "Scandinavian".
>But, I guess you have to be born in one of these countries to see the
>difference.

Nils:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. To those of us who have actually
spent time in all of the three Nordic Countries and Finland those of you who
aren't Finno-Urgic or Lapp are remarkably homogeneous. There are small
differences, for instance I noticed that Norwegians tend to be a little
broader and darker than Swedes, and Danes tend to be finer featured, As to
cuisine, Lutefiske seems to be more Norwegian than anything else, and the
Swedes are more meat oriented, and Danish food tends off to the German, and
the Finns mix Russian and Swedish cooking happily a \nd gleefully. I guess
you have to be born there. But I'll tell you this all of the food is good,
and I found while wandering there that most of the people are very nice
indeed! I received a welcome in Norway that I'll never forget.

alexis