Re: Yes, DOCTRINE

May 04, 1996 11:51 AM
by JRC

On Sat, 4 May 1996 Richtay@aol.com wrote:

> > Too bad ASCII won't let one change font size. Then it could be written
> > twice as big and apparently then be twice as true.
> >        -JRC
>

> It's a good quip, John.  But is that your only response to what Greg posted?
>  I think there is no question that Theosophy was offered to the world with a
> doctrine.  And if folks choose not to accept that doctrine, so what?  They
> may be called "Theosophists" all the same.  But I sense from your response
> that have have no retort to the SUBSTANCE at issue.
	Actually, I have a very substantive response, which may take a
bit of time to write - though I am questioning why the energy should be
expended. In *my* opinion there is "no question" that the Adepts wished
*primarily* to inculcate the idea of the "Universal Brotherhood of
Humanity" throughout the world ... and the TS was to be the *agent* of
this particular project - and that their greatest *fear* was that the TS
would turn in on itself, and become little more than small groups of
people meeting to study occultism because of their own personal interest
in it ... or because of the thought that by doing so they might *for
themselves* achieve initiation into the "mysteries". I've tried several
times since I've been involved in Theosophy to make this case. And I
certainly understand that it is a minority opinion. I fear I could write
endlessly about it (and for every quote of Greg's I could respond with a
quote of my own ... but ... why?). Fact is, those who want to make
Theosophy into into something composed of intricate discussions about the
finer points of the "Doctrine" will simply ignore anything I say. And
those Theosophical organizations that wish to actually institutionally
*impose* the study of this "Doctrine" as a condition will *vehemently*
ignore anything I say ... especially when in thus saying (and backing
with as many quotes as anyone else) I am asserting that Theosophy has now
become precisely what the Adepts greatly feared it would collapse into -
a small cult of interest to only a few, and having virtually no effect at
all on a world that now *desperately needs* a strong articulation of the
principle of a "Universal Family of Humanity".
							Regards, -JRC