Written any Good Books Lately?

Apr 13, 1996 10:57 AM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Richard Ihle:

[writing to Jerry S]

>I wrote the privately printed book WISDOM TEACHING in 1984, but
>even I think it is probably a rotten, uninteresting book in
>most respects except for the rough suggestion of the Pattern
>(don't ask for a copy because I have learned my lesson: a year
>or two ago, I sent one to Eldon's wife who gave it to the
>housekeeper after a reading a few pages--I don't even trust
>people to lie and tell me that they read it and that it was
>good anymore. . .).

But it was a good book to you at the time that you were
writing it. And you've learned from the experience, and
could write better the next time. With the give-and-take
of ideas on theos-l, as well as the general growth in
your learning and knowledge over the years, you may be
better equipped to write now than you were then.

One aspect of writing a book is that it may not be done
the first time, when the words first get written. It make
take many reviews and revisions based upon the input of
others before it is ready to print. Perhaps you rushed
your book out the door too quickly.

Also, there's something to *intent* when writing. Was there
something wanting to be said through you, something important
that you felt too valuable to keep inside, or were you writing
because you were "supposed to", as a part of being a good
Theosophist?

The final thought I have about your book is regard to getting
feedback from people. You may find words that *to you* clearly
express your ideas, but if the words do not work to convey
your ideas to others, they need to be changed. What works well
in a personal journal may not work in a book intended for a
multitude of people with diverse backgrounds. This is something
you've obviously faced in your work as the great eastern teacher
(at your high school work), but are you taking this into account
in your theosophical writings?

If you're writing to Theosophists, you may need to use different
words than if you were writing to a group of meditators, or to
college students with no background in metaphysics.

It's great with 'theos-l' to have a place to try out different
words in expressing ideas, to see first hand and with immediate
feedback how well the words work in communication. We can all
learn and grow as writers, as long as the occasional bitterness
that emerges doesn't discourage us.

-- Eldon