Re: Regarding Blasphemy and What is Good for Others

Apr 13, 1996 11:09 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 10:56 AM 4/13/96 -0500, you wrote:
Eldon:
In a perfect world, filled with perfect people your comments to Chuck re:
Blasphemy would surely be valid, as all "Dictionary Definitions" are. But we
don't live in a perfect world, we live in one which is very much imperfect
as are those who inhabit it. You say we should respect the rights of others
to what we see as "funny beliefs". Well now, I personally see regarding the
"Secret doctrine" as revealed religion is pretty funny and while I will
argue against it (as we all argue against things we find misguided) I do
respect the rights of those who feel that way to feel that way. But now we
must come to the thoughts beliefs and actions of what is loosely called "The
Religious Right" here in America. Their beliefs aren't at all "funny", their
beliefs are about as acceptable in any decent society as the beliefs of the
White supremecists. The American Fundamentalist is a religious totalitarian.
And that is, and must be, totally unacceptable to all people with a decent
respect for the rights of others. You will note that I said "religious
totalitarian" because there is nothing at all "spiritual" about American
Fundamentalism.
The only possible way to deal with people like these is not to repect either
them or their notions of  the Christian religious paradigm. People like Pat
Robertson, Ralph Reed, Lou Sheldon, James Dobson and Jerry Fallwell are all
opportunists, they are all totally disrespectful of everyone, especially
their own dupes, and they all preach a totalitarianism that it is the duty
of all free peoples to combat. As I said to Liesel, Blasphemy in and of
itself, as it relates to "God" is an impossible act.

alexis