Re:Being & Doing

Apr 13, 1996 11:23 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 11:21 AM 4/13/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Jerry S:
>
>[writing to Chuck]
>

>>The purpose of life is to be, not to do.
>
>I'm not sure I agree. Simple beingness is only a partial
>participation in life. One participates in space, and
>has a static appreciation of life. Doing things brings
>one to a participation in time (via state changes in
>oneself and others), and moves one from static to dynamic
>beingness.
>
>-- Eldon
>
>Eldon:

What about this?

The purpose of life is both to be, and to do. Far too many people
misunderstand that "to be" as an invocation to passivity, as a declaration
of neutrality in life. A person in a vegetative state is simply being, but
that is hardly a complete life. One can hardly gain the experiential growth
which Theosophy seems to believe is the prime reason for incarnation, if one
is in a null state. Therefore "static beingness" is useless to evolution it
is dynamic beingness that is productive.

alexis