RE:perhaps

Apr 12, 1996 11:25 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 07:44 PM 4/12/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Alexis:
>>I can't begin to tell you how much I hate that "only for the few stuff".
>Nick:
><I don't think her intention was only for the few.
>Alan:
>>.. she wrote hundreds of pages of material for a couple of dozen
>>people?  Not very likely.
>
>	Look at the membership of the TS. Then look at the
>world's population.  Then tell me that we are not the "few."
>How may people have actually read the SD?  sadly, even fewer.
>
>	Jerry S.
>	Member, TI
>	One of the Few
>Jerry: I'm also what you call "one of the few", but you may not be as right
in that respect as you think. I've got a copy in Polish, so perhpas more
folks have read it than you are aware of. Of course, one could say "one of
the few" about the readership of any book not on the Danielle Steele level.
A lot of people only read Harlequin Romances, but serious books have a much
smaller readership. You write serious non-fiction, you should know how few
"readers" there really are. I also would venture to say that of the limited
number of people who have actually read the Secret Doctrine, many are like
myself and, shall we say, "underwhelmed"? Based on my many Theosophical
friends and aquaintances, I'd say "Isis Unveiled" had even a smaller
readership, and IMO it's the far better book.
There are, of course, other reasons that could easily be mentioned to
account for the paucity of TS members as compared to the World Population.
And they're probably good reasons too.

Alexis