FOOD FOR THOUGHT FOR THEOS-L READERS

Apr 09, 1996 09:21 AM
by Blavatsky Foundation

Theos-l Readers:

The following 3 e-mails were originally posted on alt.religion.eckankar.

Mike Mueckler gives his views on life after death, the reality of out of the
body experiences,
mystical experiences, etc.  I thought this might be of some interest to
Theso-l readers.
Who is Mike Mueckler?

He is:

Professor
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology
St. Louis, MO  63110

Please post your comments on Theos-l.  If it is okay with people, I will
send all replies
to Mike.

Well, here  goes!  Some food for thought!

Daniel H.  Caldwell

***********************
(1)  THE FIRST POST FROM MIKE M. RESPONDING TO A QUESTION FROM WILLIAM MARTENS:

>>From: mike@cellbio.wustl
>>Subject: Re: Re Scholarly Analysis
>>Date: 5 Apr 1996 05:03:09 GMT
>

>>In article <Pine.BSD.3.91.960404081620.5031B-100000@binford.cs.utah.edu>,
>>William Martens <martens@binford.cs.utah.edu> wrote:..
>>>
>>> Since, in your opinion, the inner worlds that some people experience
>>> while they are alive on this physical world are nothing but random
>>> neurons firing in the cerebral cortex of the physical brain is it also
>>> true (in your oppinion) that the inner worlds that some people believe
>>> they will go to after this life are really non-existant as well?
>>>
>>> In other words is this one physical life all that you personally expect
>>> to experience?
>>>
>>> Do you believe in any kind of continuance of your essential self to
>>> survive the physical death of your body?
>

>>There is no reason or necessity to postulate the existence of anything
>>supernatural to explain "inner" experiences.  There are clear
>>physiological explanations for these sensory experiences and nothing
>>mysterious about them at all.
>
>>Neither have I seen any evidence for the continued existence of
>>consciousness after the brain ceases to function. On the other hand, there
>>is abundant evidence for the contrary belief.
>
>>The universal nature of religion is perfectly understandable in biological
>>terms.  The "purpose" of a biological entity is to survive and pass on its
>>genes to its offspring.  The longer an individual survives (within
>>limits), the greater is the chance it will successfully pass on its
>>genes.  With the development of self-awareness in the human along with the
>>level of intelligence necessary to recognize the finite nature of the
>>individual organism, humans developed religion and the belief in some form
>>of immortality as a psychological expression of the "selfish" gene.  In
>>simpler terms, any being that is intelligent enough to recognize its own
>>finite nature will naturally put up a psychological defense, i.e.,
>>religion. That seems self-evident. Self-survival is the strongest instinct
>>of all.
>
>>I recommend "The Astonishing Hypothesis" by Francis Crick (Simon and
>>Schuster). Crick shared the Nobel Prize with Jim Watson for the discovery
>>of the helical structure of DNA.  For the past 25 years or so he has
>>dedicated himself to the study of the neurosciences.  The "astonishing
>>hypothesis" is just that consciousness is the result of the activity of
>>billions of interacting neurons.  Crick's wry humor is that this is only
>>astonishing to layman, most of whom carry some sort of religious engrams.
>
>>I don't see how a profound understanding of biology is compatible with
>>religious belief.  I have only seen them coexist in a very few scientists
>>who somehow manage to completely divorce their early religious training
>>from all logical scrutiny.
>
>>If you believe in survival after death, what is it that makes you believe
that?

********************
(2)  DANIEL CALDWELL'S REPLY AND QUESTIONS TO MIKE'S ABOVE POST

>>From: Daniel Caldwell >>blafoun@azstarnet.com (Blavatsky Foundation)
>>Subject: Re: Re Scholarly Analysis:  Some Questions and Comments to Mike
>>Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 17:25:09 LOCAL
>

>>MIKE M. writes:
>>>
>>>There is no reason or necessity to postulate the existence of anything
>>>supernatural to explain "inner" experiences.  There are clear
>>>physiological explanations for these sensory experiences and nothing
>>>mysterious about them at all.
>
>>>Neither have I seen any evidence for the continued existence of
>>>consciousness after the brain ceases to function. On the other hand, there
>>>is abundant evidence for the contrary belief.

MIKE M. , how much do you know about parapsychology?  Are you aware of the
data of
>>this field of endeavor?  From my point of view, there is *some* evidence that
>>would indicate that consciousness may transcend the brain and in fact can
>>sometimes  operate outside the confines of the physical body.   I am not
>>saying that the parapsychological data proves such contentions.  All I am
>>saying is that this data puts a new slant on the biological data.  How aware
>>are you of this parapsychological data?  Or are you the "typical" kind of
>>skeptic of the CSICOP variety?
>
>>It would be interesting to see what David Lane's views are on this subject.
>>My impression is that although he is skeptical of the claims of Eckankar,
Lane
>>believes that consciousness transcends the body, etc.  I may be wrong.
HINT!
>>HINT!
>
>>Mike, have you read Dr. Robert Almeder's DEATH AND PERSONAL SURVIVAL: THE
>>EVIDENCE FOR LIFE AFTER DEATH?  Almeder is a philosopher and approaches the
>>subject with an open mind.  I could give you a whole list of good books that
>>are not written by religious or new age minded people but by critically
minded
>>people who have looked at the evidence and have felt that there is something
>>mysterious about the mind and that science has not fully  explained the mind
>>nor its relationship to the brain, the nervous system and the body.
>
>>Are you as skeptical of your own "beliefs" and "conclusions" as you are of
the
>>beliefs of the Eckists, religionists, and paranormalists?  In other words,
are
>>you a Zetetic skeptic?  Are you aware of the writings of Dr. Marcello Truzzi?
>
>>There is a excellent FAQ written on parapsychology by Dean Radin and several
>>other parapsychologists.  It is available on the WWW and you can find it if
>>you do a search using the word "parapsychology."  I will try to find its
>>location on the WWW and post it later.
>
>>Mike, I would like to post the whole of your reply (from which I have quoted
>>and responded to) on Theos-l, an Internet Bullentin board for students of
>>Theosophy.  Is this okay with you?
>
>>Thanks.
>
>>Daniel H. Caldwell

(3)  MIKE M.'S REPLY TO DANIEL CALDWELL'S QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS:

END OF TRANSMISSION

Happy Chewing!

Daniel H. Caldwell