Trust Problem

Dec 13, 1996 03:59 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

The more I contemplate the by-laws imbroglio for that is what
it appears to be becoming the more it seems to boil down to a
basic lack of trust on the part of the members toward Wheaton
and Adyar.

On a personal basis I have enjoyed visiting Wheaton have met
most board members and feel a general trust that they and the
staff there have Theosophy's best interests at heart. Yet the
Bing episode and some previous power-struggle things I've heard
about make me feel that 01 some people are trying to control
things in underhanded ways and 02 their motives are mysterious
and perhaps not benevolent. This is admittedly a suspicious
mood rather than a well-founded conclusion.

When we look at Adyar and the various section expulsions the
same sense of distrust is engendered. One doesn't know exactly
who is trying to control what there's little information on
what has occurred but in the absence of information one can
only speculate.

The best cure I can imagine for this kind of generalized
distrust is a completely open discussion of the issues
involved. Until the membership knows exactly what went on in
Boston Canada Yugoslavia Denmark we are not likely to be
receptive to the message from higher up that "we need more
control over you for your own good." What's really at stake?
Who's really concerned about it?

I hope that if the controversial amendments are defeated that
there will be more time for discussion and a more open forum
for it than we have had in the past.

When years ago I described the way the ULT operates to my
brother anonymity secret officers no by-laws etc. he said
"Oh that's a cryptocracy." Meaning an organization in which
the government is secret. Even though the Adyar TS has all the
paraphernalia of a democracy there are still ways that it's
cryptocratic due to the ES and other factors. I sense in the
unease expressed here about the by-laws a deeper unease about
the very nature of Theosophical democracy and a sense that
cryptocracy lurks beneath its surface. Restoration of trust
requires first of all a sense that there is real meaning to our
democratic institutions and that they aren't just window
dressing for cryptocracy. The suggestion of postponing the
vote may not be feasible but it would help make people feel
better about the genuineness of the democratic process.