Re: Dark night of the soul

Dec 12, 1996 07:39 AM
by Jerry Schueler

>>Jerry S. wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>... The Dark-Night-of-the-Soul
>> is an anguishing experience that most of us go through at
>> some point in which the human mind eventually
>> comes to terms with the fact that its limited nature will never
>> allow it to fully understand or comprehend the infinite spirit.
>
>I thought of it more as the anguish one feels now I see I am
>speaking at the emotional level while you are addressing our mental
>state over the separation which occurs as we strike out away from
>the group we have been traveling with for many lifetimes.
>
>Lewis

I think that I have it right Lewis at least as it was used
in olden times. If this Dark Night is successfully passed through
one arrives at some level of gnosis or intuitive/spiritual insight
that is beyond the human mind. If it is not passed through the
usual result is death and one must try again in the next life. So
the Dark Night is really a pretty serious stage along the Path.
If one arrives at spiritual insight without going through this
Dark Night then I would assume that it was handled
successfully during a past life.

Jerry S.
Member Theosophy international