Re: Newbies

Dec 12, 1996 08:37 AM
by Liesel F. Deutsch

>From: bbrown@whanganui.ac.nz Bee Brown
>Subject: Re: Newbies

>At 053700 PM 12/11/95 -0500 Jerry S wrote:
>
>>suspicious. I don't expect newbies to "keep up" with some of my
>>discussions. After studying for almost 30 years I would hope that I
>>am able to talk over their heads at some point. While this is
>>probably frustrating to them I wish that I could have had theos-l 30
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>or so years ago when I was grappling with these subjects and
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>learning all on my own. If I feel anything its probably envy. I am
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>a member at large and except for computer networking have
>>not had a chance to share views or discuss these subjects with
>>others.
>
> In the very early days of TS when there were very few written
>publications the members were having a difficult time getting information
>on various Theos* subjects. Reading your appreciation of theos-l and how it
>would have helped you if it were there I see an analogy. I truly believe
>Internet and the international access to theos-l is the next quantum leap
>and we Theosophists should make full use of it no matter what the organized
>entities/TS Organizations think about it or how they have reacted to it. I
>am very objective about this whole thing. How many times have you seen any
>of the elected/appointed officials at the national or regional level have
>ever posted any messages here. It is either due to illiteracy on their part
>or their indifference or what other reason they only know. As I pointed out
>in a msg some time back let us all put ourself in the seat of HPB and
>imagine how she would have used Internet as a means of attracting the
>attention of the world to the Theosophical ideas. It may give us some
>creative ideas.
>
>I must pass on that I send articles of interest to our National President
in Auckland and he tells me he enjoys reading them and if it isn't any
trouble to keep sending them. I have heard mention that they are thinking
about joining us one of these days. I have just sent a envelope full to do
with the by-law postings etc up there for his Xmas reading. I think lack of
time is one factor that has kept Internet at bay.

> I have always felt that JEM and any one else who took the initiative
>to put the theos-xxxx together have done all of us a great favor and our
>gratitude is due to all of them.
>
> ...doss
>

>> Jerry S.
>When the list goes down from time to time I get withdrawal symptoms
because I just love this Internet and all you lovely people. I have learned
so much since joining and I appreciate your patience when I let rip.>

Bee Brown
Member Theosophy International

I know that John Algeo is too busy to read all of theos-l but some
people in Wheaton do & show John that which they deem important & to
the point.

I too miss theos-l when it goes off. Dreamscape was upgrading on Nov.
30 & I wasn't able to get back into my e-mail until Dec. 6. Out of
habit I came up to my apartment from the dining room & wanted to go
over to my computer desk & I also had withdrawal symptoms.

I would like to see some more systematic studying go on on theos-l.
So far we debate whatever comes to someone's mind. Come to think of
it why don't we have a separate theos- start for newcomers?
Like where one of us puts on something very basic every week.
Liesel