Re: Acceptance & Resistance

Nov 29, 1995 02:48 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

Eldon:
>That is what we do with the deepest metaphysics like perhaps
>certain passages in "The Secret Doctrine". We have accepted HPB
>as an authority. Because of the special respect that we accord
>her we are willing to suspend judgement on certain teachings.
>We operate from the idea and hope that we'll later be able to
>understand and appreciate the deeper truths. Until then we
>study them and suspect judgement on them.

This approach is news to me. My interpretation of being a good theosophist is
that you look at something even the writings of HPB with an open mind. If
they sound true to your experience or intuition you may accept them. Perhaps
you leave other things to be proven at a later date. Are we expected to make
HPB our own individual authority figure? Is she as infallible as the Pope?

Correct me if I am wrong.

- ann