Re: Theosophy International

Nov 17, 1995 09:56 AM
by M K Ramadoss

At 071300 PM 11/17/95 -0500 A. M. Bain wrote:
>> At 070200 PM 11/16/95 -0500 Dr. A. M. Bain wrote:
>> >To so far Liesel Eldon & Rich:
>> >
>> >I envisage THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL ....
>
>> >There will be no fees no subscriptions although voluntary
>> >donations and/or contributions *could* be made to specific
>> >projects or even individuals for particular and specified
>> >purposes.
>> >
>> >Alan
>
>> In the present Theos-L forum do not we already have an international
>> collection of individuals interested in Theosophia?.
>
>Yes but why keep it there?

A good question?
Why move it any where else?

><snip>
>
>> In this forum everyone will welcome any project that support the
>> welfare of the humanity and hence details can be posted. However once a
>> project is started and if this forum is used as a means raising funds by
>> voluntary contributions it brings about a whole new set of questions which
>> needs to be carefully looked into. If funds are raised then the question is
>> who is going to collect and use the funds? What kind of controls are going
>> to be there to make sure that the contributions are indeed spent for the
>> project or purpose etc? In money matters generally secrecy slowly
creeps in.

>Of course you have in the snipped part of your original post
>stated the obvious as it applies to we on theos-l.
>
>The questions which bother you do not in the way I envisage it
>need looking into at all. If there is a project which a member
>wishes to promote why can they not ask for donations to help
>fund it. None of us would be obliged to either donate anything
>nor not to donate.
>
>Some years ago in Canada I think a local community wanted to
>build a new school. A vote was taken to see if the members of
>the community a town in this case were willing to accept an
>increase in taxes of $n per month to pay for it. When it was
>paid for the tax would be abolished and the school would have
>been built. They voted yes the school was built and the tax
>ceased.
>
>I think we could support joint projects in this kind of way but
>maybe not. It's up to us jointly what we *do*. The main thing
>is *no* subs no required dogma. I only mentioned donations as an
>idea for members to support theosophical projects where say
>one member has time but no money and another the reverse.
>
>Let me put it this way: You have a favorite project you cannot
>afford to fund directly. You ask the members for help. They
>generously contribute. You receive $$$. You spend it on wine
>women and song.

>YOU ONLY GET TO DO IT ONCE. I think we call it Karma. :-
>
>If we mean what we say when we subscribe to the objects then we
>must surely trust each other if it is going to work? If we
>don't and have to set up watchdogs for financially supported
>projects then we are a bunch of hypocrites.
>
>A church organisation I was once part of decided to raise funds
>for starving Africa. A generous collection was held. Everyone
>left the building feeling pretty good most of them ignoring a
>homeless beggar asking for help outside the door.

An interesting comment. Frequently I find homeless individuals near
my workplace or my home who need help. Whatever little money I am able to
spare I give them directly. May be when I win one of the multi million
dollar lottery I may have opportunity to support larger projects.

---------end of message--------