re: re theos-roots and censorship

Sep 21, 1995 11:26 AM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

Dear Liesel,

Thanks for your post.

>I for one would be willing to have most everything appear
>on theos-l, with 2 provisos: 1.) that what you post is really
>>historical & not hysterical.

 Who will determine which is which?

>2.) Since you're talking about
>being "truly democratic" that includes, as is also stated in
>the theos-l rules, consideration for the other fellow's
>feelings.

 I'm aware of the rule, agree with it and try to follow it.
However, I don't allow that rule to abridge the subject matter,
nor do I believe it was intended for that purpose.

>Just for instance, someone just a few days ago said
>something that indicated that Adyar is old hat. Adyar happens
>to be in full bloom, & putting out more blossoms every day,

 Sounds like you two have different view points. That might
make for a good discussion.

>and what's also to the point I'M A MEMBER OF ADYAR.

 So am I.

>This also goes for what's been expressed on this list time and
>again which goes something like "well Annie Besant or Leadbeater
>wrote that, so we'll just discount it."

 You never heard that from me.

>To me, & to many others, AB & CWL are role models & it doesn't
>feel good to have your role models talked about disparagingly.

 I agree

>Unless provoked, which I am right now, I wouldn't dream of
>saying on this list that I find "The Ocean of Theosophy" and the
>pamphlets of Elsie Benjamin dull reading.

 I think you just did. But that kind of talk doesn't offend
me anyway.

>But if I respect other people's reverence for WQ
>Judge and Elsie Benjamin, I expect other people to respect my
>feelings for Annie Besant and CWLeadbeater, my role models.

 That's the trouble with people, they have so many points of
view. On the other hand, that is what makes people so
interesting. You see, I wouldn't mind at all if you posted
critical information about Judge, Benjamin, HPB or anyone else.
But I would expect the information to be accurate and that you
can back it up with documentation. It is the lie that provokes
me, not whether it is negative or not.

>Under those conditions, I'll say ok everybody use theos-l. If
>not, then lets divide it up into different sections.

 I think we should divide, but that would require an honest
commitment on everyone's part to make their postings where they
belong. John Mead might even find it necessary to make more
sections.

Peace
Jerry