scholarship

Sep 08, 1995 10:48 AM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

> I can see your point, that for theosophy to gain more
> acceptance and credibility it would seem it could benefit from
> the work of scholars in theosophy,

 Amen

>but this reminds me of a
> Mahatma letter to Sinnet in which they tell him they were not
> interested in establishing a school for western intellectuals,
>that they had not broken the silence of centuries for the
>benefit of a few western european scholars. They were interested
>in reaching the masses.

 I can't be sure, but I think you might have put two
different statements together: "The Chiefs want a Brotherhood of
Humanity, a real universal fraternity started; an institution
which would make itself known throughout the world and arrest the
attention of the highest minds." (ML 6) and "But a "hot bed of
Magick" we never dreamt of. Such an organization as mapped out
by Mr. Sinnett and yourself is unthinkable among Europeans; and
it has become next to impossible even to India..." (ML 28)

Jerry Hejka-Ekins
Please reply to: jhe@toto.csustan.edu