Constitution Advocates Pluralism not Exclusivity

Aug 04, 1995 12:13 PM
by Arthur Paul Patterson

>>The Rev. Franklin is incorrect in believing that this country
was founded on Christian beliefs.

I am a Canadian but very interested in American History. Right
now I am watching the documentary Civil War and studying Ralph
Waldo Emerson intensely. I thought that the God of the craftsmen
of the Constitution was more deistic than theistic and that the
intention was freedom of religion for all - that to me sounds a
lot like pluralism and tolerance. I find it shameful that
fundamentalists play with the language of the constitution in
such a way as to read it as a narrow tract.