Re: Myers-Briggs and Astrology

Apr 28, 1995 10:50 PM
by Arthur Paul Patterson

Lewis Writes:

> It always amuses me to here my 'academic' friends talking glibly
> about their Myers-Briggs personality type, but think astrology is
> a total joke.  From what little I know of astrology and even less
> of the Myers-Briggs each can offer some interesting insights into
> how we operate in the world.

I don't know whether there has been much dialogue between the
MBriggs and the Astrology crowd but I have been humoured by
academes, as you are.  It is as if they don't take thinks lightly
or seriously enough.  It is wonderful what you can find shunted
away in some occult corner that is really practical and helpful
and of service to humanity.  I have taken training courses in
MBTI in Albequereque and other places and have noticed that many,
but not all, take this paradigm as if it were literally true and
not just a metaphor for attempt to see in a mirror darkly.
Typology has a ancient occult history and if those who criticize
astrology ought to actually read some of Jung's admiration for
alchemy and other such subjects instead of rushing to apply his
theories willy nilly to whoever and whatever they come across.
There is a lot to Myers Briggs but the biggest problem is that
those who desire a monopoly on truth try to market it in such a
manner as to exclude other ways of viewing reality.  It is sad
that literalism and fundamentalism are so wide spread and not
only in the religious right but in the psychological left as
well.

Art