A Little of Both

Apr 29, 1995 07:17 AM
by Keith Price

Much of the polarization about right and left, Christians and
unity thinkers (theosophists, Unitarians, new agers, Buddhists),
karma or chaos, science or religion is still with us long after
Blavatsky wrote her synthesis in THE SECRET DOCTRINE.

One can look at evolution as a process whereby the tension of
opposites is resolved temporarily in a new higher, but only
temporary, synthetic new form.  All the talk about the right and
the left only applies to today's politics.  What was liberal
before, freeing the slaves but de facto segregation, is now quite
conservative.  The insight Blavatsky had along with many others
included that fact that modern science (particularly evolution)
and religion (particularly Christianinty) were both one-sided.
Science only saw a need to measure and control the outside,
Christianiny sought to see energy and truth as coming from a
transcendent, but documented system (the Bible), to control the
inside (men's minds).

She offered a synthesis in a new or at least redocumented but
OPEN system of thought that allowed for both spiritual and
scientific truth.  Much of the SD is not warm fuzzy "why can't we
all just get along" but power driven polemics, sometimes quite
vitriolic (hateful).

The evolutionary system seems to require the tension of opposites
as a source of energy both in the physical world and the psychic
or psychological world (not to mention the spiritual).  Without
the devil, God would have nothing to do and we would probably all
be board (or in Eden or Nirvana).  Of course, God, the devil,
Eden, Nirvana are not physical entities, but symbols, archetype,
concepts...  but not JUST concepts.  The power of idea new and
old, can blow up a building (as seen in Oklahoma) with the help
of a little explosive.

Hegel's ideas where in the air at the time and I wish HPB would
have given him more space and less to Haeckel and other now
lesser lights.  She was obviously influenced by his thought.
Maybe Hegel, because he was used by Marx, seems less talked about
today.  But his insights about matter and life (spirit) evolving
slowly into higher and higher SPIRIT is a concept worth
reexamining.

Someone mentioned that Jung said that theosophy was for lazy
thinkers.  I was thinking about his ideas about taking Eastern
temples by storm etc and thought that if we alway think that the
Masters are in control, how is that different from Jesus is in
control and the ANSWER etc? If Blavatsky said it all, how is that
different from The Bible said it all.

Coming to grips with the chaos in the world, particularly the
modern world that is so highly organized and so easily
disorganized (OK and terrorism) challenges us to do more than
meditate and grow spiritual.  Oh no, almost sound like Rush et
al.  No, I am not advocating activism, necesarrily, and of course
NOT terrorism, but a willingness to see the other side.

If this could be modeled more by both the President, Gingrich,
talk show hosts etc., it might be a kinder gentler world instead
of escalating paranoia.  (I'm not really a fraidy cat, Liesel,
I'm just AWAKE, I hope).

I just saw the movie FORREST GUMP, and was struck by the little
discussed main theme that this less-than-fully-intelligent
(academically impaired, but not life impaired :) ) man comes to -
that it isn't destiny (read: Karma) and it isn't accident (read:
Chaos) but a little of both.  Those that see Karma as the reason
for everything haven't looked hard enough (IMHO) .  For as it is
so eloquently stated : SHIT (read: CHAOS) HAPPENS! Brother, does
it! Yet it can also be said: MIRACLES HAPPEN or maybe even JUSICE
HAPPENS.  They are all valid.  Maybe the right and the left
should just get together and shake hands and they do from time to
time, but then it's back to the old tension of opposite thing and
so it will always be.

The endless cycles and wheels of karma role on, and I have tried
the world negating, sitting around in silent meditation, praying
for world, vegetarian, peace thing and it may do some good, but
I'm alway hungry for a hamburger, a good argument and a little
low life excitement after about three day of that.

In this world, I personally need a little of both, and best
wishes to those that don't.

Namaste

Keith Price