Re: Grokking

Apr 07, 1995 06:05 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

According to Dr. A.M.Bain:
Quoting Liesel--

> > things as what Serge King calls grokking, which I can' t do
> > nearly well enough, because I haven't been practicing, but what
> > you do is you think/imagine yourself into something else with
> > Love (be it flower or thunderstorm) & try to find out what makes
> > it tick, & what qualitites it has that could come in handy to
> > copy.

Alan comments-- (snip)

> I think the best way to try to describe actually doing this, is
> to attempt to extend one's awareness directly _into_ the "other"
> [but in a sharing, not an invasive manner].  Difficult to
> describe, but maybe the 'flavor' of it may come through.

Isn't this, in a subliminal way, the `flavor' of what makes any
of us animal lovers?  I can't say I've ever felt FULLY merged
or identified, but there have been many transcendent moments in
which a bird, or beaver, or guinea pig, etc. has temporarily
become a focus of awareness in this sharing kind of way.

At another level, it may be part of what fascinates those who
are compelled to travel in foreign countries.  For me, there's
nothing comparable to the sense of being absorbed in
Frenchness, or Mexicanness, etc., or rather nothing that
satisfies that particular itch for losing boundaries, in quite
the same way.