to Daniel Caldwell

Mar 26, 1995 02:01 PM
by LieselFD

Dear Daniel,
 I think your thoughtful post should get a detailed response, at
 least fom this Theosophist it should.

You talk about doing some Theosophy in depth.  I was hoping that
the "Mahatma Letters" would be such a vehicle.  Letter #2, which
I posted a few days ago.  concerns what the Masters consider
selfish, & what not.  Their ethics being so much more sensitive
than our usual, I thought the subject would call for more of a
response than it has so far.  But maybe it's still forthcoming.

I myself didn't mean to imply that history is boring.  For
instance, I still remember from a long time ago some of the
details of "The History of Atlantis and Lemuria".  They had
vril-powered flying boats, and water ducts.  Also, I just
recently read an history of American Immigration waves, a book
which presents quite a different, and enlightening side of
American history.  And what an eye opener my "American Women's
History" course was several years ago! What I do find boring is
trying to ascertain facts which don't shed any new light on
anything, and in our case, seem to lead to bickering.  I hate
bickering.  Rather than try to dig around to find out who the
heck wrote the SD or the "Mahatma Letters", I find it more
productive to try to read the material itself, & try to figure
out what it says, & who cares who wrote it.  Nobody knows who
wrote the Bible either, nor the Sutras, and what difference does
it make? But their contents do make a difference, & sometimes
historical notes, such as those contained in George & Virginia's
"Readers' Guide to the Mahatma Letters..." enhance.  Now does
that make sense to you? I do hope so.

"How do you even start to discriminate and discern between the
false & the true?" If history and science are your anchors, then
that's where discriminati on starts for you.  My anchor is
whatever I find out that makes sense to me, & that fits in with
what I've experienced & with what I already believe.  If it makes
sense to me, I appropriate it, if it doesn't, I discard it.  I've
come to believe that this is the only truth I can discern, the
one that fits me, the one that makes sense to me.  The only one
who can visualize absolute Truth, I think, is God, because God's
viewpoint embraces everything in & out of manifestation.  I can't
compete with that, so I need to be satisfied with seeing that
part of the truth that I can perceive.

I'd welcome your comments back.

Liesel