Re: The Art of HPB

Mar 26, 1995 02:36 AM
by Bazzer

>bazzer@pavilion.co.uk (Bazzer) writes:

Response to Paul Gillingwater's reply:

> > "The aspirant has to choose absolutely between the life of the
> > world and the life of Occultism.  It is useless and vain to
> > endeavour to unite the two,
>
> This is basically true, however for most people in the world, who
> might class themselves as "aspirants", it would be vain and
> foolish (if not even delusive) to seek to characterize themselves
> as occultists, and therefore to choose such a path which denies
> the possibility of learning some very valuable lessons that come
> with family life.

Agree entirely:-) The (to us) somewhat severe 'rules and
regulations' required of *practical* occultism are somewhat
outside the possbilities of most of us - certainly oneself! One
only has to look at the 12 extracts of the 73 "rules" mentioned
by HPB in "Practical Occultism" (Lucifer, May 1888) to get a
glimpse of the undertaking:-).  Yet it is important not to loose
sight of them.

> > struggle for amost any married man, who would persue *true*
> > practical Occultism, instead of its *theoretical* philosophy.
> > For he would find
>
> I believe that such a theoretical study is not without its value,
> especially when accompanied by meditation and service.  And of
> course, not forgetting the sine qua non of the occult life --- a
> sense of humour, and a lively appreciation of one's own
> inadequacies (c.f.  "Diary of a Sacred Magician" by Georges
> Chevalier.)

Theoretical study is of inestimable value.  It is the first step
for most of us; the first step being the beginning of every
journey.  The question arises, nontheless, as to where we should
go to obtain our first step.  One would suggest that the ground
work, the foundation so to speak, begin with the *original*
(un-edited/un-altered) works of HPB and her co-workers.