Re: Cyberpathology

Mar 24, 1995 10:47 AM
by Lewis Lucas

Jerry,

Much of what you say concerning this discussion group applied to
the local groups I have participated in, too.  Not being able to
pickup no verbal clues may be seen as a drawback here, but could
also be seen as an advantage.

We often form our opinions about others rather quickly, judging
them by their appearances, language skill, and personality
quirks.  Here many biases are in temporary suspension, at least
until one says something which triggers them.

C.W.  Leadbeater wrote a small pamphlet about lodge work in which
he talks about the need in each group for three types, which he
referred to as oilers, boilers and toilers.  The toilers were
those stalwart members who created a solid foundation.  They were
always at the meetings no matter what the topic, often holding
routine offices in the lodge, taking care of the lodge's business
interest, etc.  The boilers, on the other hand, could be counted
on for stimulating disucssion, advocating change, exploring new
ideas and territory and being a general nusiance to the toilers.
Which is where the oilers came in with the skills to keep the
tensions from other two extremes from riping the group apart.

It seems to me we all play one of these roles at different times,
but have our "favorite." Another important consideration CWL
raised was that the practice of brotherhood between the
disparate, independent minded, and strong willed members the
group was likely to attract was one of the cheif benefits of
participating in such a group.  Consider it a real "workout." Our
skills are weak and they need the exercise!

Lewis
llucas@mercury.gc.peachnet.edu