A Historical Seminar on the Masters?

Mar 14, 1995 10:41 AM
by MGRAYE

A Reply by Daniel Caldwell to several recently posted messages on
Theos-l:

I want to reply to a number of comments made recently by Jerry
H-E and Paul J.  But before I do that, I want to suggest that we
institute a "In Search of the Masters" seminar on Theos-l.
Probably most of us have heard about the "Jesus" seminar in which
various New Testament scholars have met on a regualr basis for
several years to discuss from a scholarly and historical
viewpoint what Jesus "actually said" as opposed to what has been
attributed to him by the Gospel writers.

Although I don't agree with many things said in Paul's books,
nevertheless, his books are thought-provoking.  Certainly over
the years I have learned a great deal from reading various MSS
copies of his first book IN SEARCH OF THE MASTERS, the published
volume by that name, Paul's THE MASTERS REVEALED, and the various
letters exchanged between the two of us.  Paul certainly raises
some good issues in his two books and I believe they should be
given a fair hearing.

I would suggest that Theos-l might be a place where a serious,
indepth discussion and dialogue on the subject of "Do the
Theosophical Masters Exist?" could occur.

I realize that not everyone subscribing to Theos-l is interested
in Theosophical history.  To such individuals all this discussion
is possibly boring or simply irrelevant.  But to others the
issues raised directly or indirectly by Paul'b book are of vital
interest and these issues are worthy of serious thought,
discussion and study.  Maybe Theos-roots would be a better forum
for this discussion.

I plan at some time in the future to attempt to write a pamphlet
review on Paul's THE MASTERS REVEALED, but in the meantime I
think this Theos-l forum is a good place to have discussion,
interaction, almost immediate feedback and response.  In other
words, a serious dialogue on the subject of the Masters.

It is unfortunate that Michael Gomes, John Cooper, and others
mentioned by Paul as giving him input on his books are not also
on Theos-L & the Internet.  Goodness what discussions we could
all have! Nevertheless, I believe James Santucci is on Theos-L.
And of course, we have Jerry H-E and others who (to varying
degrees) have an interest in Theosophical history as well as some
expertise and knowledge on the subject.  Therefore, I hope that
this suggestion to have a "In Search of th e Masters" seminar
will be seriously considered by at least some members of Theos-l
and acted upon.  I give my vote for such a seminar.  Such a
discussion and interaction can flow out of the discussions
already started on Theos-l.

(Continued in Part II....)

Daniel