HOT MAHATMAS

Mar 14, 1995 08:23 AM
by Nancy Coker

        MARCH 14 1995

        Paul's lake metaphor is a fine one.  Thanks for the
        clarifica- tion, Paul.  I was one of the folks watching
        on the sidelines while you were doing your research, and,
        as you say, discovering new theoretical possibilities
        with each passing month.  You were much more like an
        adventurer discovering virgin territory, than a scientist
        trying to authenticate a position.  I'm not certain if
        your level of excitement -- as history began to give up
        some of its secrets -- shines through the book.  If it
        does, perhaps it is being mistaken for some other kind of
        zeal.

        I have always found you extremely willing to listen (and
        incor- porate) new perspectives.  You must have racked up
        huge phone bills over those years, as I know we were not
        the only long distance friends you were calling to share
        and invite comments.

        Your suggestion that we develop a group approach to
        dealing with these HOT issues is a wonderful one.

        SUGGESTION #1 I suggest we ask respondents to deal with
        only one issue at a time.  Longwinded, overly detailed
        posts, derail the process as I believe many folks who
        might otherwise be interested, begin skimming the posts.

        SUGGESTION #2 I suggest that when someone recognizes (or
        thinks they recognize) an implication that is personally
        insulting, that they request clarification on that one
        point by means of a simple question.

        In keeping with my belief posts should be short, I'll
        yield the floor.

        Nancy