More on Anti-Christianity

Mar 09, 1995 05:47 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Daniel writes <As it is, even most students of
Theosophy are probably not as aware as they should be
as to what HPB and her Masters taught on these topics.>

I rather think the opposite.  I would be very surprised
to find that anyone who reads anything at all of HPB's
works doesn't come across something about a Christian
tenent or teachings in short order, and then must
either agree or put her books down and search
elsewhere.  I think (God, I certainly hope!) that
theosphists clearly understand exactly where HPB was on
the subject of Chrisitanity.  In Sinnet's days, this is
probably not true, as your quote from Letter #82
implies.

General comment.  You should be thanked for all
of the nice advise that you gave us, and all of the
suggested reading materials.  But (isn't there just
always a darn ol but?) I don't have the time or the
inclination to read a bunch of books these days.
Actually, I would much rather know what you personally
think.  I assume that you have already read most of
these books, so could you please sit down and write me
a few words about your own personal thoughts and
feelings on the subject?  I would much prefer to read
that than a laundry list of books.  Also, I don't find
the comment "Plus the concepts need to looked out in
the light of what HPB says elsewhere in the first 200
pages of Vol. I of the Secret Doctrine, as well as in
Isis Unveiled, the Key to Theosophy, etc." terribly
helpful or illuminating.  I have already read those
and have already reached my own conclusions, and would
much rather hear your findings than your techniques.

However, again I thank you for providing the list
and study ideas for those on Theos-l with the time
and inclination to look all of this stuff up and
digest it.

Question to all:  Am I the only one who thinks that
these letters are pretty straightforward and
self-evident?

BTW, you don't have to be a fundamentalist to
believe in an extra-cosmic God.  This is, after
all, what most Christians believe - God made
the world and can end it at any time, etc.

Alan <While HPB may seem to attack Christianity, iy
has mostly seemd to me that the main thrust of her
objections were against "Churchianity" and
especially the Roman Catholic variety.>

I agree.  But when a good Christian reads it,
they may have trouble with this finer point,
and may take it more personally.  I really
like your old poster.

             Jerry S.

ps.  For those folks who try to explain away HPB's
anti-Christian sentiment, just remember that
Steiner and others pulled away from the TS just
because of this, (the second TS Objective
emphasizes Buddhism and Hinduism at the expense
of Christianity) and Steiner was chocked full
of esoteric Christianity and left anyway.