Re: Emerson

Mar 03, 1995 05:33 PM
by Sy Ginsburg

Thanks to Nicolas for the HPB quote about Ralph Waldo Emerson.
In my view, his essays show him to be clearly a theosophist.

Here is a historical sidelight some of you might find
interesting.  Mrs.  Gertrude Emerson Sen (grand-daughter of Ralph
Waldo Emerson) was also a theosophist (I cannot say if she
belonged to an official organization).  Maybe theosophy runs in
some families.  she married an Indian man, Bodhi Sen, a
biologist, who worked and wrote about the consciousness of
plants.  She lived with him in Almora, a hill station in the
Himalayan foothills, in India about 60 miles from the Nepal
border.  The two of them were close friends of Sri Krishna Prem
(deceased) and Sri Madhava Ashish co-authors of the Stanza of
Dzyan commentary books, Man, the Measure of All Things and Man,
Son of Man, who maintain the Mirtola ashram near Almora, a Hindu
temple of pilgramage for many Indian theosophists.  Mrs.  Sen
wrote introductions to at least 2 theosophical books that I know
of.  She died about 10 years ago, in her nineties.

I would be interested to know if any of you out there are
familiar with the above 2 books (published by TPH) which are
commentaries on the Stanzas of Dzyan and what your opinion is of
them.  They were the 2 books that gave me my start in
theosophical inquiry.

Sy Ginsburg